Fri, Nov 10|
Virtual via Zoom
Training, Supervision & Advanced Practice of Motivational Interviewing (William R. Miller, PhD & Theresa Moyers, PhD)
“Not the Usual Workshop”
Time & Location
Nov 10, 9:00 AM MST – Nov 11, 3:30 PM MST
Virtual via Zoom
About the Event
November 10-11, 2023
9:00 am to 3:30 pm
Break 12:00 to 12:30 daily
12 CEs accredited by the American Psychological Association
This workshop is targeted to participants with previous training and experience using MI in helping professions. Newer users of MI may struggle to participate fully in practice exercises for this workshop, so we encourage you to seek a different experience if you are brand new to MI. If you are in doubt, we are happy to discuss this with you individually via email or an online meeting. We encourage international applicants, while recognizing that this workshop requires a facile working knowledge of English and accommodation to time differences.
Some of the topics we will cover in this workshop:
- Offering complex reflections: how to do it; how to teach it
- Cultivating Change Talk: Advanced methods for encouraging change talk from clients
- Expression of Empathy versus Softening Sustain Talk: How to hit the balance
- Neutrality: When and how to maintain neutrality in people’s dilemmas
- Supervising MI: A primer on what we know and deliberate practice approaches to help
- MI in Groups: How is it the same, how is it different?
- MI in your system: What changes are possible?
- Interpersonal Skills in MI (and elsewhere!)
- New material from the upcoming 4th Edition of MI book (e.g. complex affirmation, pendulum approach)
William R. Miller, Ph.D.is Emeritus Distinguished Professor of Psychology and Psychiatry at the University of New Mexico. His distinguished career has spanned five decades, pioneering methods to inform how helping professionals treat and respond to their clients. His 65 books include four editions of the core text on motivational interviewing with Steve Rollnick.
Theresa B. Moyers, Ph.D., Clinical Psychologist and Professor of Psychology at the University of New Mexico. Dr. Moyers’ research focuses on the training of therapeutic skills as well as identifying causal mechanisms of Motivational Interviewing. She has more than 30 peer-reviewed publications in this area and is the author of the Motivational Interviewing Treatment Integrity (MITI) coding system. Dr. Moyers has been featured in several MI training videos, including The Rounder and The Committed Smoker. She is co-author with Dr. Miller of the 2021 book Effective Psychotherapists: Clinical Skills that Improve Client Outcomes.
Virtual Platform Participation:
This training will be conducted virtually from 9:00 am to 3:30 pm (Mountain Time) daily, with a break for lunch at 12:00 pm. Some online workshops feature mostly didactic lectures, but not this one. We will be using demonstration, discussion, and interpersonal exercises as well as didactic lectures on the newest MI content. Participants will practice skills with each other several times on both days. It is important that registrants be prepared to attend the entire session on both days and give their attention as they would for an in-person workshop. In keeping with this approach, our CEU sponsor requires that cameras be on during the workshop. We know that life happens during online meetings, so we respectfully request your sincere efforts to be present and ready to work during this workshop. If you cannot meet these requirements, we look forward to seeing you in a face-to-face training soon. Questions? Feel free to contact us.
- You must be present for both full days in order to receive CEU credits. Partial CEU’s cannot be given.
- You may receive a full refund for this workshop prior to September 15. After September 15, no refunds will be issued.
- If you would like to pay by check, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Advanced MI - Miller & Moyers